JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for providing clinical supervision and support to mental health clinical staff. Acts as site supervisor in the absence of the clinic supervisor. Is also directly responsible for the assessment and treatment of an assigned caseload of children and/or adults with psychiatric disorders.
ESSENTIAL SUPERVISORY FUNCTIONS:
- Knows and exemplifies the Catholic Charities mission, vision and guiding principles;
- Models highest standards of professional ethics and clinical practice;
- Assists with orienting and training new therapists;
- Actively provides clinical guidance, consultation, and direction to members of the treatment team. Effectively utilizes individual and group clinical supervision sessions as a means to improve the staff’s clinical skills and expertise;
- Provides guidance to the clinical staff in the completion of comprehensive mental health assessments and diagnosis;
- Reviews client records to assure compliance with New York State regulations and third party billing standards;
- Reviews active records for appropriateness of treatment and continuing medical necessity;
- Trains and supervises outreach staff in home and community safety strategies and procedures;
- Assists clinical staff with crisis situations and critical/high-risk case concerns;
- Provides guidance to the staff to assure compliance with confidentiality laws and regulations;
- Monitors client discharges to assure appropriate referrals, communication and documentation are completed;
- Acts as site supervisor in the clinic supervisor’s absence, as directed;
- Willingly accepts other duties as assigned by the clinic supervisor or department director.
ESSENTIAL DIRECT SERVICE FUNCTIONS:
- Orients new clients to treatment expectations and course of outpatient treatment at Monsignor Carr Institute (MCI);
- Completes a thorough initial assessment with each client to determine appropriateness for admission. Makes appropriate referral if client does not meet admission criteria;
- Completes required electronic and paper admission documentation and admits appropriate clients to the program as per policy and regulations;
- Completes initial and ongoing treatment plans within the required time frames that include the current needs, strengths, safety, and corresponding plan of care for each client;
- Provides therapeutic individual/group/family therapy as prescribed in the client’s course of treatment and treatment plan;
- Utilizes an effective manner and therapeutic style that demonstrates caring and empathy toward clients;
- Makes active attempts to re-engage clients who withdraw from treatment when clinically appropriate;
- Produces accurate, timely and professionally formulated progress notes after each session or interaction that reflects the client’s status, progress, and treatment plan goals;
- Completes case record self-audits on each client’s chart as required;
- Promptly and actively communicates with the client’s family and designated collaterals and service providers;
- Conducts home visits when clinically appropriate, as per NYSOMH regulations;
- Observes client confidentiality laws and regulations and assures that release of information forms have been properly initiated, signed and updated as necessary;
- Completes outpatient treatment review (OTR) forms and all required paperwork to enable third party reimbursement in a prompt, professional, and efficient manner;
- Discharges clients per MCI policy and procedure. Promptly completes discharge summaries and sends a copy to the appropriate referral sources as per policy and regulations;
- Participates in required staff meetings and designated training. Attends other educational training to keep skills current and maintain credentials. Keeps credential up to date.
- Consistently meets the MCI standard for clinical productivity.
EDUCATION: Qualified Mental Health Professional (QMHP) with New York State license in social work, mental health counseling, psychology, or psychiatric nursing:
Specify Special Requirements:
Demonstrated record of excellence in providing direct mental health treatment in a licensed clinic setting.
EXPERIENCE: At least five (5) years professional mental health clinical experience, including at least two (2) years providing clinical supervision to students and/or professional clinical staff.