BASIC FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Maintain a safe, sanitary and healthy swimming environment for our guests in Mohonk Lake Beach area.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Ensure the safety of all swimmers in and out of the water while visiting our bathing beach.
- Maintain a clean beach area – including sweeping and raking of sand areas and docks as well as removing weeds and debris.
- Demonstrate an outgoing and friendly personality such as smiling, initiating conversation, engaging others, and making eye contact.
- Handout and collect towels. Record guest usage.
- Sell water to guests.
- Maintain a clean and safe changing area.
- Demonstrate comfortableness with lake ecology such as: inability to see the bottom of 60’ deep, snakes, frogs, turtles, and fish in size of approximately 11-20 inches.
- Administer First Aid and CPR as needed.
- Work other areas of Activities on a regular basis, such as: Wheelworks Bike Shop, Kids’ Club, Information Summerhouse, Tennis, Campfires, and special events.
- Facilitate alternative activities while the beach is closed due to thunder, lightning, or fog.
- Deal calmly and pleasantly with guests while under pressure.
- Handle adversity, change and emergency situations calmly and with a level head.
- Analyze problems and develop and implement action plans to address problems.
- Work in a manner that will not endanger self or others.
- Manipulate sports equipment.
- Memorize a history tour of the grounds, trails, and story of Mohonk and the Smiley Family.
- Work flexible or changing days and hours; including days, nights, weekends, holidays, and occasionally up to 14 hours per shift.
- Take the initiative and work without supervision when required and appropriate.
- Demonstrate a knowledge and appreciation of nature and the outdoors.
- Perform basic mathematical skills including addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and perform and record cash/credit transactions accurately.
- Reach with hands and arms, bend, kneel, stoop, twist and flex arms, walk up and down stairs/inclines, sit, climb up/down ladders or stand for up to 5 hours at a time.
- Lift up to 75 pounds from ground level to waist level and carry a distance of up to 75 feet with/ without assistance. Walk up to 7 miles per day.
- Walk up and down 40 stairs consistently throughout an eight-hour work day.
- Speak clearly in front of people.
- Speak, read and write the English language and communicate in a clear and congenial manner, with our guests, visitors and employees. Hear verbal instructions, directions and warnings.
- Row a rowboat and maneuver a kayak and rescue board.
- Lead activities to ensure social interaction amongst the guests and to ensure a happy and safe environment.
- See close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Identify safety hazards and inspect the work of others by sight, sound, and smell. Ensure hazards are corrected.
- Manipulate personal floatation devices (PFDs).
- Present a neat, clean, and well-groomed appearance in accordance with the Mohonk Mountain House Dress and Grooming Standards.
- Demonstrate knowledge and appreciation of nature and the outdoors.
- Carry a two-way portable radio and earpiece to communicate and provide immediate response to emergency situations
- CPR/First Aid and Waterfront Lifeguard certification required.
- Experience or potential in a people-oriented job or potential for success in a people-oriented job preferred.
- At least 18 years old.
- Valid driver’s license.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.