The foreman will manage and monitor vendors responsible for the safe, efficient, and economical handling of vessel?s operations. Engages in hands-on repairs and improvement projects as workload and criticality requires. Knows and understands costs and budgets and reacts accordingly to minimize and eliminate variances to optimize profitability. Possesses the required practical knowledge, experience and skills to lead, train and coach mechanics, welders and marine equipment maintenance employees.
Establishes daily expectations for performance with their team and holds employees accountable for performance and compliance with safety policies and procedures.
Schedules work, manpower, equipment and resources to maximize efficiency and cost effectiveness.
Assists in the development of standard operating procedures and ensures that the team follows the established policies and procedures, holding employees accountable for non-compliance through progressive disciplinary measures.
Evaluates employees regularly and conducts employee mid-year coaching and annual performance reviews. Ensures that equipment and company assets are in good working order and follows all policies and procedures for preventative maintenance and equipment inspections.
- Supervises vessel planning activities prior to the ship arriving to port
- Ensures the load and discharge is performed accurately and timely
- Oversees permeant and agency dockworkers
- Acts as a focal point for any stevedoring issues that may arise with assigned vessel
- Interacts with barge/trucking companies to facilitate the timely delivery of barges or trucks for load and unload operations.
- Responsible for ensuring dockworkers are carrying out their duties safely and efficiently
- Supports warehouse activities
- Coordinate, prioritize, supervise and assist with loading/unloading activities
- Completes required documents associated with operations in an accurate and timely manner
- Training new employees in job duties
- Providing a clean, safe environment for all personnel and visiting customers
- Liaise and assist visiting customers
- Any other duties as directed
- Prior dock/warehouse experience, including forklift/plant and crane experience
- Familiarity of Crane and Hoist operations required
- Highly motivated individual with attention to detail and ability to work long hours
- Willingness to train on all types of dock work, plant and machinery
- Safely walk, reach (including above your head), bend, climb, push, pull, twist, squat and kneel as necessary to perform the job duties
- Ability to work safely in adverse weather conditions
- Working independently or as part of a team
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions and short correspondence
- Ability to effectively present information in a one-on-one and small group situation
- Flexible Attitude
- Minimum of 5-year experience in a similar position in an industrial setting (preferred)
- Thorough knowledge of rig operation and maintenance program.
- Working experience in the stevedoring/ warehousing industry (preferred)
- Proficiency in equipment and terminal operation
- Advocate of team concept.
- Flexible schedule; rotating shifts, days, nights, weekends and holidays as required
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Valid driver’s license
- Ability to qualify for TWIC card
- Ability to pass pre-employment screening to include, drug screen, physical and background check
- Incumbent will work in all weather conditions ranging from warm/hot-cool/cold as well as occasional rain. Will work at different elevations, noise levels will be moderate-high. Job site will contain light to heavy equipment vehicles, small to large equipment, materials, communication equipment, and tools. Rotational shift work required. Twelve or more hours per day spent in work environment.
- The physical nature of the work will vary from day to day based on operational needs; however the job will require the incumbent to be able to perform: climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, typing, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing, and repetitive motion. Incumbent will also be required to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) including, but not limited to: Hard Hat, eyewear, safety vests, gloves, masks/ respirators (when necessary) and steel-toe boots.
- Very Heavy Work: Exerting in excess of 100 lbs. of force occasionally, and/ or in excess of 50 lbs. frequently, and/ or in excess of 20 lbs. of force constantly to move objects.