The Associate Director, Credit Risk provides guidance, direction and oversight for the credit risk management activities for all commercial real estate activities, including quality, integrity and soundness of all financial analysis, underwriting, portfolio monitoring and credit approval processes.The incumbent identifies emerging credit risks and works hand in hand with senior leadership and team colleagues on risk-management implementation actions to manage and mitigate risk.
Monitors activities to minimize the company’s exposure to risk. Activities may include quantitative analysis, risk identification and remediation. Represents or supports the reputation of the company to minimize compliance and regulatory risk by resolving issues and ensuring adherence to company and legal standards. Responsible for ensuring that all of the company’s activities adhere to the necessary rules and regulations, and that the company complies with legal/regulatory statutes and jurisdictions.
Ensures adherence to the policies and procedures established by the company. Manages policy, standard definition and monitoring of policy, standard implementation, ensuring harmonization and consistency of risk policies. Monitors and manages risk/exposure and compliance with the company’s policies. Identifies, manages and reports on the company’s risk areas. Evaluates the adequacy and effectiveness of data, document retention, and monitors systems.
Serves as primary credit risk partner for all of the Commercial Real Estate credit risk matters and activities.
- Demonstrates subject matter expertise and serves as an authority and credible challenge to management regarding credit performance, potential or emerging risks, and business conformity with risk appetite, credit culture, and policies.
- Exhibits strong decision making skills, including the ability to manage multiple accounts and transactions and make high quality credit approval decisions.
- Creates partnerships that foster business growth and loans that include solid credit metrics, ensuring that all loan transactions are consistent with the Commercial Real Estate Bank Policy.
- Makes recommendations with regard to changes in bank credit policy based on portfolio and market dynamics as well as the ever changing regulatory environment.
- Works with team members including Underwriting, Governance, Monitoring and Portfolio Management to ensure that all individuals are familiar with any credit updates.
- Actively participates in Deal Screens to ensure that new loans meet credit guidelines and bank risk appetite.
- Keeps apprised of portfolio performance and trends and apply this knowledge to the ongoing review of new transactions and risk appetite strategies.
- Works closely with Business and Underwriting team members to ensure that credit requests are reviewed and a decision is provided timely and within the agreed service level agreement.
- Demonstrates and promotes risk and compliance culture awareness through identification, management and escalation of all risks and risk limit breaches.
- Proactively contributes to ensure compliance with established risk governance frameworks, policies, data management principles, risk limits, internal controls and applicable laws and regulations.
- Contributes to the satisfactory results from Audits (internal/external), Credit Risk Reviews, Compliance and Regulatory Agency reviews and responds to required corrective actions in a timely and complete manner.
At Santander, we value and respect differences in our workforce and strive to increase the diversity of our teams. We encourage everyone to apply.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience
- Experience: 12 – 15 years
- Excellent written/verbal communication, presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Experience dealing and presenting to Management and Credit committees.
- Able to effectively engage in communication with executive management and other team members.
- Sound risk management, detail-oriented and analytical skills to identify issues and resolve problems on a timely manner.
- Demonstrated expertise in commercial real estate laws and documentation and relevant government rules and regulations.
- Extensive knowledge of Commercial Real Estate underwriting and management.
- Ability to independently operate in a complex, matrixed environment; adept at delivering and maintaining productive working relationships across business, functions, geographies and lines of defense.
- Demonstrated track record interacting with the regulators, Credit Risk Review and External and Internal Audit.
- Ability to strategically generate well supported conclusions based on trend analysis, market dynamics, credit risk due diligence performed and understanding of the Banks risk appetite and strategies.
- Strong organizational skills, including ability to multi-task and prioritize several projects at a time.
:New York-New York-45 East 53rd Street – SANNY – Santander NY